Wiki THORACIC REEXPLORATION LAMINOTOMY CPT

jamiepeters

Networker
Best answers
Does anyone know what code would be used for a Thoracic Reexploration Laminotomy? All I am finding is for Cervical 63040 and Lumbar 63042 but nothing for Thoracic? Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Does anyone know what code would be used for a Thoracic Reexploration Laminotomy? All I am finding is for Cervical 63040 and Lumbar 63042 but nothing for Thoracic? Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
There is not a code for Thoracic re-exploration. If you repeated a procedure due to a complication in global, then you would code the procedure with modifier 76. If outside of global you would not need 76 and use recurring DX. 63040 and 63042 are specific to recurrent disc herniations and only coded when performed outside of global. Hope this helps

This is part of the providers note and unfortunately I am still struggling to find a Thoracic Laminotomy CPT code. If anyone has run into the same problem in the past I would greatly appreciate any guidance. Thank you

Findings: Old malfunctioning spinal cord stimulator was scarred to the entire lamina of T 8 and T9. We encountered significant scar tissue at the lamina at the prior laminotomy sites at T8 and T9. Additional excision of lamina bone, and careful reexploration of epidural space was required in order to take the old paddle stimulator out without risking a major dural tear. This was not the typical laminotomy associated with routine removal of the paddle stimulators. A redo laminotomy was required bilaterally, at T8 and T9, to release the old paddle lead, and safely remove the paddle stimulator.

Look at 63662. It's for the stimulator removal with laminotomy. If the documentation supports, you might add modifier 22. Re-exploration or laminotomy would not be coded separately.

Thank you for your response. I am already using the 63662 and the way I am understanding this code is when the spinal cord stimulator was originally placed it was done via Laminotomy or Laminectomy and i the Lay Description below I am not seeing that a Laminotomy or Laminectomy is included in the procedure for the removal of the spinal cord stimulator
Lay Description (Code):
Hide/UnHide
transparent.gif

The physician removes spinal neurostimulator electrode percutaneous arrays (63661) or spinal neurostimulator plates or paddles that were placed via laminotomy or laminectomy (63662). The patient is face down (prone). The physician makes a midline incision overlying the affected vertebrae. The fascia is incised. The paravertebral muscles are retracted. The physician removes the electrode plates or paddles in the epidural space proximate to the spine segment. Stimulation is applied. These codes include the use of fluoroscopic guidance, when performed.

Thank you for your response. I am already using the 63662 and the way I am understanding this code is when the spinal cord stimulator was originally placed it was done via Laminotomy or Laminectomy and i the Lay Description below I am not seeing that a Laminotomy or Laminectomy is included in the procedure for the removal of the spinal cord stimulator
Lay Description (Code):
Hide/UnHide
transparent.gif

The physician removes spinal neurostimulator electrode percutaneous arrays (63661) or spinal neurostimulator plates or paddles that were placed via laminotomy or laminectomy (63662). The patient is face down (prone). The physician makes a midline incision overlying the affected vertebrae. The fascia is incised. The paravertebral muscles are retracted. The physician removes the electrode plates or paddles in the epidural space proximate to the spine segment. Stimulation is applied. These codes include the use of fluoroscopic guidance, when performed.
I see. I misread the code description.