Wiki Thoracoscopy converted to thoracotomy of repair of recurrent diaphragm hernia.

rrrobinson05

Contributor
Best answers
I'm looking for guidance on this one. I looked at both 43334 and 32124. I just don't know about this one. If anyone has experience with this, your input would be appreciated.

Op Note:

(Patient) is a 15 y.o. female presenting with recurrent CDH picked up on her yearly surveillance xray Weight: 54.9 kg (121 lb 0.5 oz)

Operative Details: Jasmine was brought to the operating room where they underwent general anesthesia. The area of the left chest was then prepped and draped in the usual fashion. A 5mm port was placed beneath the scapula within the prior thoracotomy incision scar. The scope was inserted and we encountered a fair amount of scar tissue from the prior procedure. We were able to clear adhesions well enough to place 2 additional ports under direct vision. We then turned our attention to the diaphragm. I did an hour of lysis of adhesions in order to free the lung from the chest wall and from the diaphragm. Given the significant amount of scar tissue I did not ultimately feel comfortable enough with the anatomy to complete the repair thoracoscopically. This point we chose to open the chest at the same site as the prior thoracotomy incision. An open fashion we continued to sort out anatomy and adhesions and ultimately were able to identify small posterior lateral fascial defects with omental contents. The abdominal contents were reduced. We then used Ethibond sutures to close the gap between the diaphragm and the thoracic wall. These were brought through the chest wall into stab incisions externally and tied down externally. A chest tube was inserted and we proceeded with closure. The ribs of the thoracotomy incision were reapproximated using figure-of-eight Vicryl sutures. Also layers were reapproximated using 2-0 Vicryl. Subcutaneous tissue was closed with Vicryl and the skin was closed with Monocryl. The 2 additional thoracoscopy incisions were closed with a deep layer of Vicryl and the skin layer Monocryl. The chest tube was sutured in place with nylon.

The area was cleaned and dried and sterile dressings were applied. The patient was awakened, extubated, and taken to the recovery room in satisfactory condition.

consider:
32120 since there was a prior thoracotomy or I would consider the 43334 with modifier 22 if you can't bill both the 4334 and the 32120 together
The physician performs a thoracotomy to identify any thoracic postoperative complications. The physician opens the chest cavity widely to directly visualize and assess the organs and structures in the chest. Using a scalpel, the surgeon makes a long incision around the side of the chest between two of the ribs. The incision is carried through all of the tissue layers into the chest cavity. Rib spreaders are inserted into the wound and the ribs are spread apart exposing the lung, heart, and other structures. Alternately, the chest cavity can be opened and the operation performed through a vertical incision in the center of the chest through the sternum. The skin incision is carried down to the sternum bone and a saw is used to split the sternum. With the sternum split in half, the chest is entered by spreading the sternum apart with a set of rib spreaders. The chest cavity is explored and the anatomy visualized using a gloved hand and large gauze sponges. The surgical instruments are removed. A chest tube(s) may be used to provide drainage for the chest cavity. When the procedure is complete, if applicable, the sternotomy is repaired using wires to bring the two halves of the sternum together, and the operative wound is closed by sutures or staples.

consider:
32120 since there was a prior thoracotomy or I would consider the 43334 with modifier 22 if you can't bill both the 4334 and the 32120 together
The physician performs a thoracotomy to identify any thoracic postoperative complications. The physician opens the chest cavity widely to directly visualize and assess the organs and structures in the chest. Using a scalpel, the surgeon makes a long incision around the side of the chest between two of the ribs. The incision is carried through all of the tissue layers into the chest cavity. Rib spreaders are inserted into the wound and the ribs are spread apart exposing the lung, heart, and other structures. Alternately, the chest cavity can be opened and the operation performed through a vertical incision in the center of the chest through the sternum. The skin incision is carried down to the sternum bone and a saw is used to split the sternum. With the sternum split in half, the chest is entered by spreading the sternum apart with a set of rib spreaders. The chest cavity is explored and the anatomy visualized using a gloved hand and large gauze sponges. The surgical instruments are removed. A chest tube(s) may be used to provide drainage for the chest cavity. When the procedure is complete, if applicable, the sternotomy is repaired using wires to bring the two halves of the sternum together, and the operative wound is closed by sutures or staples.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I appreciate this so much.