Wiki Thrombectomy?

TAOSA

Best answers
I code ED - Physician and have not seen anything quite like this before. Hopefully someone can help me. I need some help with procedure code and also diagnosis code, please.

Pt left the ED with IV intact and returns 5 days later complaining of FB sensation in arm. Combined procedure note by resident and attending:

"Attempted to remove possible FB visualized with US. In sterile fashion, the area of pain and palpable hard mass was incised & blunt disected. There appeared to be a thrombosed blood vessel. I opened the blood vessel & removed clots, but no foreign body was palpated or visualized. The pt was closed in sterile manner with 1 4.0 vicryl & dermabond, pt tolerated procedure well.

Counseled pt still slight risk of retained FB but US I&D under direct visualization revealed only clots. Thrombectomy - no FB identified, clots removed."

Thanks for any help!

Tiffany, CPC

I code ED - Physician and have not seen anything quite like this before. Hopefully someone can help me. I need some help with procedure code and also diagnosis code, please.

Pt left the ED with IV intact and returns 5 days later complaining of FB sensation in arm. Combined procedure note by resident and attending:

"Attempted to remove possible FB visualized with US. In sterile fashion, the area of pain and palpable hard mass was incised & blunt disected. There appeared to be a thrombosed blood vessel. I opened the blood vessel & removed clots, but no foreign body was palpated or visualized. The pt was closed in sterile manner with 1 4.0 vicryl & dermabond, pt tolerated procedure well.

Counseled pt still slight risk of retained FB but US I&D under direct visualization revealed only clots. Thrombectomy - no FB identified, clots removed."

Thanks for any help!

Tiffany, CPC

I would look at 10140 since basically they went in and opened the blood vessel and cleared out clots. then closed it up.