Wiki tic bite follow up

rleif1sun

Guru
Best answers
hi
patient removed tic by himself then came to primary care to follow up(Dr didnt query patient where the bite was located). Dr advised to come back in 2 weeks for blood work. which ICD10 code would i use besides the W57.XXXA

It will depend on documentation of course, but I would use Z20.818 - Contact with and (suspected) exposure to other bacterial communicable diseases since treatment for tick bites is not usually directed at the bite or injury itself, but is rather a preventive measure due to the possible exposure to the diseases that the tick may be carrying.

The patient removed the tic himself but then came to see his PCP so this would be an initial encounter. You will need an "S" code as the primary diagnosis followed by the W57.XXA. S code: insect bite nonvenomous of (hip, thigh, ear etc) initial encounter. If the physician saw the patient for the tic bite there should be documentation for that examination. If he did not mention the location in his notes, I would ask. If no treatment was given( for rash/infection/swelling etc) other than to recommend patient return in 2 wks for blood work, I would not use the Z20.818.