Wiki Time Based Coding when Computer Keeps Time

baroquecoder

Networker
Best answers
I have an MD who appears to be falsifying his Time statement in the patient's record.
Our system keeps track of the time the doctors are spending with the patient's and the doctor's statement is in conflict with the time stated in the system.
System shows the MD spent 30 minutes with the patient AND performed a pacemaker interrogation. MD is billing as a 99215 and 93280. Time statement states MD spent greater than 50% of a 60 minute visit.........
Do I have to take the physician's word that he spent this time with the patient?
Are there any others that have similar systems and how do you deal with this issue?
Thanks!

Time-Based Coding Clarification

Is it the physician's practice to open the note upon entering the room? It sounds to me like the amount of time the physician was in the EMR documenting was 30 minutes in this example, versus the 60 minutes he states he was with the patient. Has anyone brought the issue to the physician's attention? The first thing an auditor would do with time-based statements is compare it to the physician's schedule to see if the time matches. I've had a physician document over 8 hours in one days spent in F2F time with patients and his schedule from start to finish minus lunch only allotted 6 hours of F2F time. In that case, it was simple education for the physician to understand that all the "clocks" need to match--and, in his case, much of what he was doing didn't warrant the red flags of time-based coding.