Wiki Timely Dictation

PLAIDMAN

Best answers
Can anyone direct me towards some guidelines (yes in writing) regarding timely dictation. I have a doc who waits 2-3 months to dictate an op report.

I realize this is not good practice but I cannot seem to find guidelines that address this issue. I would imagine if they want docs to perform timely dictation they would have written it down somewhere??

Thanks!

Can anyone direct me towards some guidelines (yes in writing) regarding timely dictation. I have a doc who waits 2-3 months to dictate an op report.

I realize this is not good practice but I cannot seem to find guidelines that address this issue. I would imagine if they want docs to perform timely dictation they would have written it down somewhere??

Thanks!

Hello,

As of right now, there is no mandated time frame as to when documentation needs to be completed and signed. If there is, I have not found that rule yet. It will all depend on how your compliance plan is set up in regards to untimely dictation. We have adopted a 72 hour completion period, anything beyond that will warrant a visit to the physician and find out what is the hold up and if there is a remedy we can offer.

Explain to your physician that timely filing is a medical liability not only to himself and the practice but also to the patients' that are being treated. Here is an article about a physician that was in that very similar situation and the federal government charged him with obstruction. Here is the link to that article. Good luck!

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/757251?sssdmh=dm1.752472&src=nldne

Title: Former Psychiatrist Gets Judgment, Jail Time for Fraud

I would go to your malpractice carrier as I am sure they have guidelines. Other than that, it is just great practice. As an insurance carrier, I would wonder how a physician could remember everything from 2-4 months ago unless it stood out.

I would go to your malpractice carrier as I am sure they have guidelines. Other than that, it is just great practice. As an insurance carrier, I would wonder how a physician could remember everything from 2-4 months ago unless it stood out.

I couldn't agree with you more!