Wiki Tips For New Coders

Best answers
Hi everyone,

I've recently completed a year of formal education in Medical Coding and passed my ICD-10 certification exam, but am having trouble finding my first coding position. About how long did it / should it take to find something in the field? I'm currently in PA but have a move to NC planned in the very near future as the healthcare industry seems to be thriving there. I know many positions are seeking experience as well as credentials, but so far have I've had minimal success getting my foot in the door. Can anyone offer insight to the process of getting an initial coding position?

Any words of wisdom are appreciated, thank you!

Usually you may have to take a non-coding job and move up. Receptionist, Billing etc. If you are close to any major insurance companies, looks for job as a claims examiner and move up from there. They don't usually require a CPC so its a good place to start

I agree with CodingKing about taking a noncoding job as a first step. I also suggest looking at the AAPC salary survey if you have not already. The healthcare industry may be thriving in NC but you would be going from one of the highest paid regions to one of the lowest paying regions on average. A couple thousand dollars less might not seem like much now but it adds up quickly, consider also that the majority of people surveyed probably have experience so someone with little to no experience may be paid significantly less. I currently live in Massachusetts and my husband is trying to convince me to move to FLA but I will not go. I plan to take my coding career and far as possible and the financial prospects are much better here. My experience may be different from someone else's. I am only suggesting that people trying to get in to field think about the financial piece as well as the need for gaining experience.

Usually you may have to take a non-coding job and move up. Receptionist, Billing etc. If you are close to any major insurance companies, looks for job as a claims examiner and move up from there. They don't usually require a CPC so its a good place to start

Thank you for that bit of information. There is a insurance company up the street from where I live. I think I will go by there and ask about a claims examiner job.