Wiki To Bundle or Not to Bundle 27814 and 27610 that is the question

Linda77

Best answers
I have a Dr. that would like to us CPT 27814 and 27610 when treating a bimalleolar Fx. The Dr. would like to justify 27610 because he removed a Hematoma from fracture sight before repairing the Fx. I have always thought that normally exploration is replaced by any actual repairs. I have not found any edits to disprove the uses of these 2 CPTs but I am a little uncomfortable since I am not sure removing a blood clot in the ankle Fx is cause for an exploration code.? Especially since this is an open procedure. Maybe 27603 with 27814? Any feedback would really be appreciated. Thanks

From the NCCI manual:

Exploration of the surgical field is a standard surgical practice. Physicians should not report a HCPCS/CPT code describing exploration of a surgical field with another HCPCS/CPT code describing a procedure in that surgical field. For example, CPT code 22830 describes exploration of a spinal fusion. CPT code 22830 should not be reported with another procedure of the spine in the same anatomic area. However, if the spinal fusion exploration is performed in a different anatomic area than another spinal procedure, CPT code 22830 may be reported separately with modifier 59.