Wiki Today I laughed my BUTT off

vjst222

Best answers
As I was looking through the new Coding Edge Oct 09 issue ,I saw they had the average salary information. Well when I looked at my state I noticed how Underpaid I really am. In fact our hospital tries to be "comparable" but I am way under paid. I even looked at the average of :"credential" "years" "education" ...for me nothing but disappointments.
Now I dont want to hear anyone on here say, "at least you have a job." I am just simply stating...they didn't pole our hospital in this survey because I am about 12,000 under the average...and I have been doing this for about 3 years , plus I am certified.
Oh well..I guess I can always dream of making more money one day.

Me Too!!! Underpaid that is. I am extremely tired of hearing that "you should be grateful" excuse as well. I am a certified coder and haven't had a raise for a year and a half. Not even a cost of living raise. I live in a rural town where there are NO other options for employment and I can't even get the right kind of internet service where I live to enable me to become a remote coder. It is depressing. Luckily, I actually like what I do and I get benefits, but I won't stop asking for a raise!!

I'm sorry to hear that you fall short of your areas average but I feel the need to point out the survey was of coders, not employers. We all had access to fill it out on this site.

I was massively underpaid for years but as you have both stated I was told be glad you have a job. I was from a very rural area where the RNs made $11.99 and hour, so you can just imagine what the rest of us non-clinical people made.

I moved out of the area to get a better job, and I am very happy I did. I left family and friends, uprooted my kids, and even had to give away some of my pets but in the end I think it was worth it.

Wishing you all the best,

Laura, CPC, CEMC

WOW~~

11.99 an hour for RNs??? Some of ours here at the hospital deserve that, LOL JK JK JK

I know with my employer they say we are on a budget crunch, which I believe as no one got raises this year ( that included everyone BUT the Dr's of course) but I really honestly believe we are very underpaid.
My boss originally told me to submit something stating what the national average of what a coder should be making, however...there is not a technical NATIONAL AVERAGE. I believe the hospital here is giving us excuses. I wish everyone could be in my shoes for a week. I feel we are one of the busiest areas in the whole hospital ( not to mention we are understaffed so we are doing what 6-7 coders should be doing, with only 3 coders. )

I guess all I can do is hope that our hospital does their research. Sad to say I fall into the same catagory as everyone else....don't make enough to cover all my bills but "I still have a job."

I am also sailing in a same boat with you guys. Don't be depressed. HOPE .Let Us hope one day we all get the money we deserved.

WOW~~

11.99 an hour for RNs??? Some of ours here at the hospital deserve that, LOL JK JK JK

I know with my employer they say we are on a budget crunch, which I believe as no one got raises this year ( that included everyone BUT the Dr's of course) but I really honestly believe we are very underpaid.
My boss originally told me to submit something stating what the national average of what a coder should be making, however...there is not a technical NATIONAL AVERAGE. I believe the hospital here is giving us excuses. I wish everyone could be in my shoes for a week. I feel we are one of the busiest areas in the whole hospital ( not to mention we are understaffed so we are doing what 6-7 coders should be doing, with only 3 coders. )

I guess all I can do is hope that our hospital does their research. Sad to say I fall into the same catagory as everyone else....don't make enough to cover all my bills but "I still have a job."

If they are listening, don't sit by waiting for them to do the research. Provide them with the survey results. As you find posted job descriptions and salary ranges with job postings similar to your job - give it to them. Take ownership of the research and provide them with backup for your pleas for more money. With backup, and a logically laid out argument for a raise you won't sound as much like a whiner and will appear more like the professional you should be. It won't guarantee an immediate raise, but it will get you a lot further in the quest.