Wiki Toenail testing for fungus onychomycosis

Lucy071789

Contributor
Best answers
Hello,

me and my boss need help in knowing which pathology code would be best for toenail fungus. Should it be 88305 or 88304?

thank you

Hello Lucy071789,
I believe I know what you are asking. May I provide you with a horribly fictious example on what I believe your question is with my answers please?

Clinical Indication: Nail dystrophy

Final Diagnosis:
A. Nail clipping:
Onychomycosis

Microscopic: Special Stain PAS for fungus was applied to nail clipping that was deemed positive for fungus.

Gross:
Received nail clipping labeled with patient's name, MRN and so forth that measured .03x.03x.04 cm was received. The keratin is irregular and discolored. Submitted in toto in cassette A1.

For this again horribly fictious example
CPT 88304 would be applied for the Gross and Microscopic of the nail
CPT 88312 would be applied for the PAS for fungus review

I am hopeful that I have shed some light on the coding questions you have.
Please reach out if you need anything else.
Thanks,
Dana

Hello Lucy071789,
I believe I know what you are asking. May I provide you with a horribly fictious example on what I believe your question is with my answers please?

Clinical Indication: Nail dystrophy

Final Diagnosis:
A. Nail clipping:
Onychomycosis

Microscopic: Special Stain PAS for fungus was applied to nail clipping that was deemed positive for fungus.

Gross:
Received nail clipping labeled with patient's name, MRN and so forth that measured .03x.03x.04 cm was received. The keratin is irregular and discolored. Submitted in toto in cassette A1.

For this again horribly fictious example
CPT 88304 would be applied for the Gross and Microscopic of the nail
CPT 88312 would be applied for the PAS for fungus review

I am hopeful that I have shed some light on the coding questions you have.
Please reach out if you need anything else.
Thanks,
Dana

I believe you understood my question, I will discuss it with my boss and if we have further question I will definitely reach out again

thank you

Ok I actually have another question what if the report states toenail, excision and fungus stain was done, since it states excision will be a 88305?

No, Lucy071789
Toenail or any nail is CPT 88304 and if stain done that is also billed. I am curious on why you believe that CPT 88305 for excision of toenail is warranted here?
Thanks,
Dana

No, Lucy071789
Toenail or any nail is CPT 88304 and if stain done that is also billed. I am curious on why you believe that CPT 88305 for excision of toenail is warranted here?
Thanks,
Dana
well I only mention excision because most of the biopsies I deal with the report states excision whether it be GI or skin and they are 88305 sometimes and I applied that to toenail my mistake still learning everyday 😅 I appreciate your patience with me

Also, do you know about any pathology coding workshops that be available, tried searching around aapc but nothing shows, maybe I am looking in wrong places.

thank you

I clearly do sympathize with you Lucy071789;
You know as a pathology coder things just happen (like mistakes). I am seriously not about to judge. I am more of a let's just get our pathology coders (including me) to a happy place where all the answers are there.
I clearly need the AAPC, AHIMA, and APF to figure this out on our specialty that has fallen through the cracks in my complete opinion here.
If there are pathology resources workshops available; I would sure like to hear about them too and will be willing to pay for them too.
I started presenting pathology 1st quarter last year in pathology from a high demand from folks on the AAPC because this specialty really doesn't exist. Unless something has changed??
I brought in those close to me to make sure I was presenting alright (not even coders) because presentations are not my area of expertise here.
I have a few different presentations and you are welcome to find and attend if you desire okay.
I present the pathology 101 course for the St. Paul, MN chapter on 2/3/2024 for 2 hours. It's free, just register.
I also present for my Colorado Springs chapter in February on the Neoplasm Table Mystery on February 20th for two hours. It's also free just locate the invite.
I only wish you tons of success,
You reach out and find me if you need something okay. I check my AAPC account every couple of days. Just PM me a quick blurb of what you have okay.
Thanks,
Dana

Hi Dana,
It appears I missed your presentation Pathology 101 course. Will you be presenting this topic at another chapter? I agree, Pathology specialty info is hard to find. Please let me know if you have any additional presentations on Pathology booked.
Thank you
Kim