Wiki Took course in 2022 but testing in 2023

Teri1975

Best answers
Hello! I signed up for the CPC course inn summer of 2022 and finished it in December. I have notes are nearly every page of my CPT and ICD-10 books. I am feeling very frustrated for the fact that I took the 2022 course but am testing in 2023.

I do not want to change books to 2023 because I have spent ALL of my free time getting ready for this exam but now will be at a disadvantage if I don't use the 2023 books and start ALL OF THE NOTATIONS AND HIGHLIGHTING in them.

I feel like AAPC should be upfront about telling potential students that "hey you are starting over halfway into the year, and you do not have time to test with the course that you are giving us 3000.00 for!

I feel slightly duped and while yes, I did order the new books for my own personal use, should I ever need them, I do not want to spend all the time to transfer all of my notes to the new books!

Am I THE ONLY ONE THAT THIS HAPPENED TO?

Hello! I signed up for the CPC course inn summer of 2022 and finished it in December. I have notes are nearly every page of my CPT and ICD-10 books. I am feeling very frustrated for the fact that I took the 2022 course but am testing in 2023.

I do not want to change books to 2023 because I have spent ALL of my free time getting ready for this exam but now will be at a disadvantage if I don't use the 2023 books and start ALL OF THE NOTATIONS AND HIGHLIGHTING in them.

I feel like AAPC should be upfront about telling potential students that "hey you are starting over halfway into the year, and you do not have time to test with the course that you are giving us 3000.00 for!

I feel slightly duped and while yes, I did order the new books for my own personal use, should I ever need them, I do not want to spend all the time to transfer all of my notes to the new books!

Hello!

I'm sorry that you feel mislead. Coding books do update every year - this is something that you'll want to be aware of when working in the profession. AAPC incorporates the code changes into exams based on the calendar year. That is mentioned in the exam FAQ (https://www.aapc.com/training/cpc-exam-faqs.aspx). It's also a popular topic of discussion across AAPC social media and forums.

Many people do choose to try to schedule exams before December 31st to work from that calendar year's books. Some choose to take the exam when they feel ready, even if it crosses into the next calendar year. It's really just a matter of personal preference and comfort level with the material.

Some people use the prior calendar year's books because they don't want to purchase a new set of books for testing or for other reasons. The prior calendar year's books are permitted, if someone chooses/needs to use them.

However, since you already have the 2023 books, you may find that you can streamline your notes and write just the essentials in the new books. The act of writing it down may reinforce the material in your brain.

It's possible that you've written more information than you actually need in your 2022 books - sometimes it can be distracting to have to search through too many handwritten notes on a time based exam. The important stuff can be hard to find in an overabundance of handwritten notes. You may find that you can be more concise and make the new notes easier to use.

If you decide to keep your 2022 books for the exam, you may want to add a few notes for some of the key 2023 updates. For example, the E/M codes. The good news is that you have the 2023 books in your possession, so that could help you know what might be important to jot down in your 2022 book for reference.

Good luck on your exam!

I was told you can use the 2022 Coding books until 12/31/2023 so they will be good for testing in 2023. I'm not buying new books unless I have to.

I was told you can use the 2022 Coding books until 12/31/2023 so they will be good for testing in 2023. I'm not buying new books unless I have to.
I think the issue is, not so much, which year's books you are "allowed" to use for the test, but what year's code-sets will be questioned on the exam.

If the test questions are based on the 2023 code-sets, then 2022 books, might not be as useful.

I think the issue is, not so much, which year's books you are "allowed" to use for the test, but what year's code-sets will be questioned on the exam.

If the test questions are based on the 2023 code-sets, then 2022 books, might not be as useful.
I understand that, but wouldn't we be informed ahead of time of taking the test that the 2023 books would need to be used?
I spoke with a member from APPC and was told I can use 2022 books until the end of this year. I don't want to spend the extra money to buy new books unless absolutely necessary.

I understand that, but wouldn't we be informed ahead of time of taking the test that the 2023 books would need to be used?
I spoke with a member from APPC and was told I can use 2022 books until the end of this year. I don't want to spend the extra money to buy new books unless absolutely necessary.
I understand. yes, it would have been nice for the rep you spoke with to let you know that.

I just wanted to make sure you understood the possible issues with not having the current coding books.

Oh goodness, I have an in-person retake of the exam and I was starting to panic over the thought of having to purchase the 2023 books when my 2022 books are still viable. I do wish I was told this instead of fearing that all of my books are outdated.

Oh goodness, I have an in-person retake of the exam and I was starting to panic over the thought of having to purchase the 2023 books when my 2022 books are still viable. I do wish I was told this instead of fearing that all of my books are outdated.

It's documented on the Allowed Materials handout and FAQ:

Book Year

All AAPC exams are based on the current calendar year’s code sets, so we strongly suggest you use the current year’s books. The previous calendar year’s books may be used on an exam, but you would be at obvious disadvantage doing so. The upcoming year’s books are not allowed for exam use. The exams are updated every January for the new code sets.

You can use the previous calendar year's books. However, remember that code sets change every year, so there is a risk that you will encounter a question with codes that aren't in the 2022 books. (Many people do still use the prior year's books, but it's important they are aware and comfortable with the fact that it could potentially cost them a few points.)