Wiki Total Femur Replacement

ddicrosta

Networker
Best answers
Good morning all. Can anyone help with a code for total femur replacement? I've looked and cannot found a code for it. Thank you.

You don't give the reason, pre or postoperative diagnosis, for which this was done, nor whether the femur replacement was a cadaver bone allograft or a prosthesis. In spite of that, there is no specific code for either, so I would recommend 27599: Unlisted procedure, femur or knee, with lots of documentation.

Respectfully submitted, Alan Pechacek, M.D.

Total femur replacement

Thank you for responding. The surgery hasn't been done yet; I was asking for prior authorization. It will be a total hip and knee with a prosthetic femur, being done for failed total hip with prior removal of components and periprosthetic femur fracture with poor bone stock. I anticipated that it will need to be an unlisted code. I appreciate your help.

Thank you for responding. The surgery hasn't been done yet; I was asking for prior authorization. It will be a total hip and knee with a prosthetic femur, being done for failed total hip with prior removal of components and periprosthetic femur fracture with poor bone stock. I anticipated that it will need to be an unlisted code. I appreciate your help.

I wish the patient and your surgeons the best on this procedure. I also wish you the best on coding it out after all is said and done.
Alan Pechacek, M.D.

I have a similar case to code; the pre and post operative diagnosis are: Periprosthetic joint infection right hip and femur. Patient has gross instability of the extremity (status post removal of infected right modular oncologic endoprosthesis and acetabular component. Patient has been advised to have an amputation because of the chronicity of her infection but patient refused; therefore the patient is taken back to the OR for resection of the distal femur and reconstruction with a total femur endoprosthesis that will consist of kinematic rotating hinged knee and a constrained right total hip arthroplasty connected by modular oncologic system from stryker.

Your input is appreciated.

Thank you