Wiki TRACHELECTOMY (cervix) W/ TUBES AND OVARIES ??

JEWEL2010

Contributor
Best answers
CPT lists Uterus, w/ or w/out tubes and ovaries, however, what if the cervix is removed only & placed in one conatiner & Rt ovary & tube/Lt ovary & tube are removed and placed in seperate containers.. Are they bundled w/ cervix specimen= one single charge of 88307( uterus, other than neoplastic) ?

I would appreciate any help on this topic! Thank you!:(

Hello......

Pathology is not my coding arena.
But.......I am thinking that you should be able to code for each "separate" specimen that
is received for evaluation.

I asked because the cervix is part of the Uterus, and CPT bundles tubes and ovaries with that primary specimen.

Thank you Karen for your help-

An excised cervix is an unlisted specimen in CPT. It is not equivalent to an entire uterus. I would code these as three separate specimens since the pathologist is asked to perform unique, stand-alone examinations to render independent diagnoses around the body of the uterus itself.

An excised, non-neoplastic cervix can reasonably be considered equivalent to a cone biopsy based on average pathologist work involved. I'm comfortable with 88307 for the cervix and appropriate codes for the ovaries.

It's these oddball situations that make surgical pathology coding interesting.

Best,
WK
http://pathcoder.blogspot.com

That's what I thought, I left the cervix a 88307 equivalent to a conization, and seperately coded the ovaries- it was a very interesting case,
Thank you WK