Wiki Training for Radiation Oncology

denisek1028

Networker
Best answers
Hello,

I am an experienced coder and have been given the task of researching coding for Radiation Oncology as we are taking on a new group in a few months. Can anyone guide me on what resources/references we need to purchase and what kind of training/education I will need.

Thank you!

We use Coding Strategies CSI Navigator For Radiation Oncology. Also, it would be good to have someone attend one of Dr. Bogardus' BMsi Seminars. During the seminar Dr. Bogardus goes thru each & every code that is used in Radiation Oncology billing - what it is & how it is billed. There is also a Radiation Oncology Certified Coder certification thru AMAC.

Elizabeth Phillips, CPC, ROCC
University of AZ Health Network
UAMC University Campus
Outpatient Coder Radiation Oncology

I am a Radiation Onc. coder and was trained from Revenue Cycle Inc. It was a great learning experince and the CEU's are always helpful!

ASTRO/ACR has a "Guide to Radiation Oncology Coding." The book is available for purchase or you can purchase just online access. I have been coding for Radiation Oncology for 9 years and this book has been a great asset!

Specialty Certification for Radiation Oncology

I would love to see AAPC offer a specialty certification for Radiation Oncology. This is an ever changing specialty that takes specialty knowledge.
We are strongly encouraging our billers in our hematology/oncology practice to become certified. The excuse I hear from my radiation biller and coder is that the certifications that are available are not for their specialty. I keep plugging the need for this specialty whenever I get the chance.

Rhonda Crouch, CHONC

All the resources mentioned here (BMSi, AMAC, ASTRO, CSI, Revenue Cycle, etc) are all great sources for reference. I would verify which one is most familiar with your area and MAC. None of the major consultants are from our area and, although they can great guidance, there is always to statement of "Check your local LCD". My company specializes in Oncology Billing and we follow bits and pieces of each consultants advice based off our LCD. As far as no AAPC certification, we have been told that, because it is so specialized, the AAPC has left the certification up to a specialized group. As mentioned, you can become a Radiation Oncology Certified Coder (ROCC) through the AMAC consulting company.

Alanna M Stuart BS RT(R)(T), CPC, ROCC, CHONC
Physicians Management Services of Iowa
315 Walnut Street
Atlantic, IA 50022
712-243-7030
astuart@pmsia.com

Hello,

I am an experienced coder and have been given the task of researching coding for Radiation Oncology as we are taking on a new group in a few months. Can anyone guide me on what resources/references we need to purchase and what kind of training/education I will need.

Thank you!

I would recommend Dr. Bogardus as well. He does understand Medicare and the different Macs. His seminar is very helpful.