Wiki Trauma Surgery with subsequent hospital care

HeidiLynn

Networker
Best answers
Example Pt was in accident Pt seen 04/01/2016 admit 04/02/2016 SX Pt stays in hospital a week Dr does rounds for Pt updating status etc.. can I bill subsequent hospital care codes? till Pt is discharged?

Example Pt was in accident Pt seen 04/01/2016 admit 04/02/2016 SX Pt stays in hospital a week Dr does rounds for Pt updating status etc.. can I bill subsequent hospital care codes? till Pt is discharged?

If the subsequent visits are done by the surgeon, and are related to the surgery, then no, they cannot be billed. If they are done by a provider that is not in the surgeon's group, they are billable. Or if they are done by the surgeon, but not related to the surgery, they may be billable, with appropriate modifier.

I thought I had billed for these in the passed. They are being done by the surgeon and his staff. So it's all post op in the global unless unrelated?

If the subsequent visits are done by the surgeon, and are related to the surgery, then no, they cannot be billed. If they are done by a provider that is not in the surgeon's group, they are billable. Or if they are done by the surgeon, but not related to the surgery, they may be billable, with appropriate modifier.

Trauma

Usually there are alot of other injuries and conditions for a trauma patient that are not related to the surgery in my 5 years experience. Just make sure it's all documented.