Wiki Travel Vaccines

Best answers
Hello! I work in a Public Health office where a large number of patient's come in for travel vaccines. For my particular patient, we billed for a Typhoid vaccine and the administration of it with a diagnoses code of Z23 (encounter for immunization). The administration for the vaccine was paid for by insurance, but the vaccine itself was left to the patient's deductible. The patient called and said she spoke with the insurance company and was informed by them that if we had coded this as a preventative visit, the vaccine would be covered (she also mentioned the "office visit" needed to be coded as preventative but we did not bill an office visit). I can't find any codes for a preventative immunization, I don't think it exists. Can I get some help so I am not feeling so crazy, please?

We are also a Public Health Office. The travel vaccinations would be appropriately billed with Z23. Unless you provided an E&M for a physical it would not be appropriate to bill for preventative health (such as Z00.00). If the only service rendered was for the immunization only, then Z23 is correct.