Wiki treatment for priapism

jcrahan13

Best answers
I need some help with coding this scenario in the ER

"In light of ongoing priapism, patient was Prepped with betadine and injected with 1 cc in each corporal body with diluted phenylephrine and injectable saline. Patient was monitored with cardiac monitoring. Patient was re-evaluated and still had priapism, after discussion of options risks and benefits, decision was made for cortical aspiration. Prior to administering penile block for aspiration, patient did have response to phenylephrine and had detumescence. Patient was monitored in the ER and re-evaluated. Penis remained flaccid and patient was able to be discharged home."

I am not sure if I code 54220-52 or 53? or would it be 54235 since the provider only injected a medication?

would like to have follow up clarification on CPT 54235, is this limited for treatment to erectile dysfunction?

Corpora cavernosa is the spongy tissue of the penis. The physician injects medication into the penis to treat erectile dysfunction. After placing a constricting rubber band around the penis, the physician passes a needle into the body of the penis and aspirates a small quantity of blood. The selected medication is injected directly into the body of the penis. This produces an erection in most patients that may last from minutes to hours.