Wiki trigger point injection 20552 vs 20553

Best answers
Hi,

Can any one help me how to code for trigger point injections for example physician injected bilateral trapezius and right upper rhomboideus for which three trigger points injected coded with 20553, but as per my officials update it was changed to 20552 saying 2 muscles injected but i am not convinced with the answer which i receive, plz help me regarding this so that future coding will be most accurate

Thanks

Dr.Srikanth Saga B.PT, CPC, CCS

Yes that is correct it is the number of muscles injected that is counted not the number of injections. If you read the description the 20652 states 1 or 2 muscles and the 20553 states 3 or more muscles.

But the number of muscles injected here is 3 because bilateral trapezius both of the have separate origins and insertions and Right upper rhomboideus muscle, do we need to consider it as two muscle injection considering bilat traps as one and rhomboideus as one qualifies for 20552or bilat traps as 2 and rhomboideus one which qualifies for 20553

You are correct, the bilateral trapezius counts as 2 separate muscles, plus the right rhomboids equals 3, so 20553 should be used.