Wiki TROCHLEA REPAIR CPT CODE

jamiepeters

Networker
Best answers
PLEASE HELP. My provider did a traumatic Trochlea repair and I am having a hard time finding a CPT code for this procedure. He is calling it an Open reduction internal fixation of the right lateral femoral trochlea. If anyone has ever come across this before I would greatly appreciate the help. Below is the part of the note that he talks about this repair. Thank you for the help.

There was an open fracture noted on the lateral femoral trochlea, which did involve essentially the entire lateral trochlea. We were able to reduce this back to essentially anatomic position and then utilizing two 2.7 screws, which were countersunk through the articular cartilage to the subchondral plate were drilled and placed, giving stable fixation. A mild chondroplasty was carried out smoothing any unstable edges. This was checked and did have stable fixation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where is the trochlea located anatomically, is it proximal, distal...? Does the fracture involve a joint? You know it is a femoral fracture, look at the ORIF femur CPTs once you determine the anatomic area.

Where is the trochlea located anatomically, is it proximal, distal...? Does the fracture involve a joint? You know it is a femoral fracture, look at the ORIF femur CPTs once you determine the anatomic area.
Thank you for your response. I have done lots of research about this and so far I know the Trochlea is a groove in the femur bone underneath the kneecap (patella) and from what I have found the trochlea is made up of cartilage. I looked at the ORIF codes and they are all related to bone so I didn't go that route. I am thinking this will be an unlisted code. Thank you again for your response.

Thank you for your response. I have done lots of research about this and so far I know the Trochlea is a groove in the femur bone underneath the kneecap (patella) and from what I have found the trochlea is made up of cartilage. I looked at the ORIF codes and they are all related to bone so I didn't go that route. I am thinking this will be an unlisted code. Thank you again for your response.
I see your train of thought. This is an important piece from the part of the op report above: 2.7 screws, which were countersunk through the articular cartilage to the subchondral plate were drilled and placed, giving stable fixation.

I might check with the surgeon about 27511 or 27514 since it says, "did involve essentially the entire lateral trochlea".

I see your train of thought. This is an important piece from the part of the op report above: 2.7 screws, which were countersunk through the articular cartilage to the subchondral plate were drilled and placed, giving stable fixation.

I might check with the surgeon about 27511 or 27514 since it says, "did involve essentially the entire lateral trochlea".
Thank you for your help on this. The winning code was 27511