Wiki Tubal Ligations

Best answers
I have a question that one of the Pathologist from work asked me and was wondering if you could help me with it ?

I wonder if you ask if the cpt community is recognizing the fact that simple tubal ligations with just a cross section of the middle of the tube are being replaced with partial salpingectomies that remove the fimbriae to reduce the incidence of cancer. These of course take more work including more blocks and review time to detect precursor lesions and neoplasia. They also result in more paratubal cysts which are actually usually incidental to the removal of the fallopian tube. Since these are common specimens it would be worth clarifying, because this will come up again.
We code these with 88302 with the new way of doing these there is more work , can we code these 88304?

Another question on the same subject

if you are looking at the fallopian tube and there is significant pathology is it appropriate to code the pathology found such as paratubal cysts?

Last edited:
The 88302 for the Fallopian tube is specific to sterilization. I use 88305 for these as it does list Fallopian tube biopsy which is equivalent in work to what the pathologist is doing.