Wiki Two charges of 94660 on hospital bill

rburke2x

New
Best answers
I hope this question is allowed as this is for my recent hospital stay.

I was admitted to the hospital on 4/29/22 to 5/1/22 for treatment for Atrial Fibrillation. It started when my family doctor seen me for increased heart rate and performed an Electrocardiogram on me. My heart rate was 180 bpm and in AFIB. He then sent me home to pack for a two nights to be admitted to the hospital. When I arrived at the hospital and was taken to my room, I unpacked my personal bipap machine (I've been using a bipap since 2009 for obstructive sleep apnea) and the nurse asked me if I needed any assistance with my bipap. I told her I just needed distilled water for the humidifier. She then brought me a bottle of sterilized water. And that was the extent of their interaction with me on my bipap, the remaining of my visit was just to address my afib and get my heart back into a good sinus rhythm. I was never given any oxygen or other respiratory assistance while in the emergency room or during my hospital stay.

Once I received my hospital bill I noticed there were two charges of $1,419 on my bill for code 94460 and I'm wondering how they can charge me for this when they did nothing as far as cpap or respiratory therapy for me.
From the bill:
Respiratory Services
$2,838.00
Hc Cpap Therapy Init And Mgmt - 94660 (CPT®)
$1,419.00
Hc Cpap Therapy Init And Mgmt - 94660 (CPT®)
$1,419.00

Radiology - Diagnostic
$297.00
Hc Dx Chest 1 View - 71045 (CPT®)
$297.00

Also they charged for the CT scan that they were unable to perform because the emergency department nurse inserted the port for the contrast wrong and the contrast went into the tissue/muscle of my arm instead of into the vein so they could not perform the CT. They have since reschedule the CT w/contrast for next week.

Can anyone tell me if they can charge me for this? I tried uploading a pic of bill but kept getting an error message.

I would start by asking for all of your medical records to see what they documented in provider, consult, and/or nursing notes. For the CT, from what I understand if the provider documented that they ordered it and it was actually ordered, then they can bill for it even if you get it done at a later date.

I would start by asking for all of your medical records to see what they documented in provider, consult, and/or nursing notes. For the CT, from what I understand if the provider documented that they ordered it and it was actually ordered, then they can bill for it even if you get it done at a later date.
Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I should have mentioned that the CT that I am scheduled for is from my new Cardiologist doctor and not from the attending doctor at the hospital. My current doctor ordered a new one because there was no documentation for the CT in the hospital because it wasn't performed.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I should have mentioned that the CT that I am scheduled for is from my new Cardiologist doctor and not from the attending doctor at the hospital. My current doctor ordered a new one because there was no documentation for the CT in the hospital because it wasn't performed.
Being that they administered contrast, even though incorrectly, then they obviously had to discontinue the procedure due to this, they may be able to bill the CT with a modifier 52 or 53 depending on the circumstances.