Two different providers, same practice, both did procedures

ltl226

Networker
Best answers
I need some help with this. The provider is asking me what modifiers should be used. Has anyone seen this before? Below is the original email. I believe the below provider would use modifier 59. Would the other provider use a modifier? I was looking at modifier 79 for the second provider. Thank you in advance for any help.

“I had a patient on Monday that I did 6 biopsies and will use mod 25 and froze some AKs and will use 59. He also saw Dr. *** later that day for an excision for an unrelated NMSC (biopsied previously). What modifier do I need to use. Is there a good one to use for distinct procedure performed by different provider on same day.”

If the two providers are in the same practice and are of the same specialty, then you would treat these two as if they were the same provider and add the modifiers as appropriate. You can use the XP modifier instead of the 59 modifier for any codes that would bundle to a service that was performed by the other provider on that same day as it is more specific than 59 and does apply to your situation.

If the providers are of different specialties and/or in different practices, no modifiers are needed.

Great! Thank you so much for your help. I forgot about this and cannot remember where I read it. Is it in the CPT book?

Both providers sent the specimen to pathology. How would I bill for both specimens sent to pathology, from each provider?

Last edited: