Wiki Two DX; need clarification on ICD 10 code

Best answers
DX: Bilateral arthralgia of the temporomandibular joint. I was going to use M26.623 (Bilateral) but I was told that M26.629 (unspecified) would be better to be used. Can someone give me some clarification as to which ICD 10 is correct to use and why? DX: Urethral Stricture from Obstetric Injury Occurred during last delivery. I'm new to coding Genitourinary System would like to get some clarification on why N35.01 would be best used for this diagnosis? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DX: Bilateral arthralgia of the temporomandibular joint. I was going to use M26.623 (Bilateral) but I was told that M26.629 (unspecified) would be better to be used. Can someone give me some clarification as to which ICD 10 is correct to use and why? DX: Urethral Stricture from Obstetric Injury Occurred during last delivery. I'm new to coding Genitourinary System would like to get some clarification on why N35.01 would be best used for this diagnosis? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It's never better to use an unspecified code if you have documentation that points towards more specificity. The ICD-10 guidelines state:

b. “Unspecified” codes
Codes titled “unspecified” are for use when the information in the medical record is insufficient to assign a more specific code.

Also, many payers are starting to push back on unspecified codes when more specific codes for laterality exist. If your documentation states that the arthralgia is bilateral, then you're correct that M26.623 is the appropriate code to use. You'd only use the unspecified code if your documentation didn't give the laterality.

Regarding your other question...

N35.01 is not a complete code - it requires a 6th digit. Additionally, the N35.01- category is for male patients. Since you said that it is from an obstetric injury, I'm inclined to think that you need a code from the N35.02 category, which is for female patients.

N35.021 is Urethral stricture due to childbirth

Here are examples of a few lookups in the Alphabetic Index that would map you to the N35.021 code. (This may not be a comprehensive list - these are just some of the pathways I found in the alphabetic index based on the keywords you gave)

Stricture
Urethra​
postobstetric N35.021​

Stricture
Urethra​
Sequela (late effect) of​
childbirth N35.021​
Stricture
Urethra​
post-traumatic​
female​
due to childbirth N35.021​
Stricture
Urethra​
due to​
trauma - see Stricture, urethra, post-traumatic​
Stricture
Urethra​
late effect (sequelae) of injury - see Stricture, urethra, post-traumatic​

Hope this helps!

It's never better to use an unspecified code if you have documentation that points towards more specificity. The ICD-10 guidelines state:

b. “Unspecified” codes
Codes titled “unspecified” are for use when the information in the medical record is insufficient to assign a more specific code.

Also, many payers are starting to push back on unspecified codes when more specific codes for laterality exist. If your documentation states that the arthralgia is bilateral, then you're correct that M26.623 is the appropriate code to use. You'd only use the unspecified code if your documentation didn't give the laterality.

Regarding your other question...

N35.01 is not a complete code - it requires a 6th digit. Additionally, the N35.01- category is for male patients. Since you said that it is from an obstetric injury, I'm inclined to think that you need a code from the N35.02 category, which is for female patients.

N35.021 is Urethral stricture due to childbirth

Here are examples of a few lookups in the Alphabetic Index that would map you to the N35.021 code. (This may not be a comprehensive list - these are just some of the pathways I found in the alphabetic index based on the keywords you gave)

Stricture
Urethra​
postobstetric N35.021​

Stricture
Urethra​
Sequela (late effect) of​
childbirth N35.021​
Stricture
Urethra​
post-traumatic​
female​
due to childbirth N35.021​