Wiki Typical benefits

JAMETH345

Networker
Best answers
My current job is a bit light on benefits, and I'm wondering what kinds of benefits are typically being offered to billers in a non-hospital setting. I need to know if I'm being short-changed.

Thank you.

John M., BS, CPC-A, CPB

Are you looking for overall benefits that all employees receive or benefits specific to billers / coders? The organization I work for ( a non profit) offers health insurance, dental insurance, 403 B retirement plan, pet insurance, PTO, Verizon Wireless discount, life insurance, basically your typical benefits. As far as benefits for coders, my boss buys the coding books and will pay for CEU's or events that are related to primary care or E/M as long as there is money in the budget. Employees are responsible for AAPC membership costs and costs to maintain certifications. Working for a non profit and seeing everyday the money we lose I know they are doing all they can for us.

Heather

Benefits of Certification

Where I work, my employer paid for all of my materials to study for my exam as well as the exam itself. They also reimburse yearly membership fees because CPC is a requirement for our positions. We currently receive all of the benefits of a regular full-time employee. Since you are not working in a hospital, your wages will probably be lower as well.

We get health/dental/vision, paying part of the cost ourselves, no retirement plan, no life or disability insurance, two weeks vacation after 2 years, no sick days, only four paid holidays. As I said in original post, it seems a little light to me. And nothing regarding obtaining/maintaining certification, though I did get a small raise after passing the CPC exam.

John M., BS, CPC-A, CPB

We get health/dental/vision, paying part of the cost ourselves, no retirement plan, no life or disability insurance, two weeks vacation after 2 years, no sick days, only four paid holidays. As I said in original post, it seems a little light to me. And nothing regarding obtaining/maintaining certification, though I did get a small raise after passing the CPC exam.

John M., BS, CPC-A, CPB

That does seem light. Do you work for a small practice?