Wiki U0002 vs 87635

ACollison

Networker
Best answers
Hello

Can anyone guide me to the info or explain the difference between U0002 and 87635?
Also are these codes only used by the laboratories such as Quest and LabCorp?

CPT code 87635 is by amplified probe technique and U0002 is any technique, multiple types or subtypes (including all targets). U0002 is for any method, but if it is performed by probe, we are reporting 87635 as it is more specific to the technique we are actually performing. It depends on two things: which technique is being used and I am finding that some payers prefer one over the other, so you may have to find out from the payers which they prefer.

These codes are for the lab that performs the test, not by those who collected the specimen and send it to the lab.

Last edited:
Agree with the above. The code will be determined by the insurance carrier and be prepared to provide the EUA kit/test name, and the molecular diagnostic instrument that you are using for the testing (potentially some payers on the claim form) This probably does not apply, but just as a general comment to those who would like to offer this testing, I highly recommend that you DO NOT pass thru bill Co-VID 19 testing as this will be an area of focus for CLIA, FDA and payers. All have warned that the regulation of this testing will occur after, and there are very stringent documentation requirements in place, that include the retention of all documentation associated with a test beyond CLIA and State record retention requirements.