Wiki U5 modifer

Best answers
Can anyone guide on U5 modifier use? Need to know if Medicare accepts U5 modifer when billed on physiotherapy code. For Medicare of Texas getting Claim remedi (Clearing house) edit on claim when U5 modifer is linked with 97110 cpt.

Hi - I see U5 in the Texas Medicaid manual in relation to services by a licensed therapist or physician. https://www.tmhp.com/sites/default/...ers/2021/2021-11-november/2_PT_OT_ST_Srvs.pdf

At the national level, U5 is defined as "Medicaid level of care 5, as defined by each state." The coverage indicator shows I, which means not payable by Medicare. That may explain the edit you're seeing. Best of luck!
Thank you so much Deborah! ...I am unable to access the above mentioned link. Probably due to location restriction (India). If possible could you please share the file in attachment?

Can anyone guide on U5 modifier use? Need to know if Medicare accepts U5 modifer when billed on physiotherapy code. For Medicare of Texas getting Claim remedi (Clearing house) edit on claim when U5 modifer is linked with 97110 cpt.
Hello, the U5 modifier is defined by the state on how to use it. You would want to check with your MAC to find out if they accept it, and how they define it. It could be used differently between states and MACs.