Wiki Ultrasounds done in the office???

Bella Cullen

Best answers
Hello,
Do any of your doctors own an ultrasound machine and use it in the office, for diagnostic ultrasound of extremities or for guidance of injections?

The doctor I work for wants me to inquire about this because he is thinking of purchasing an ultrasound machine, but he is not sure if it will be worth getting.

Can someone tell me if you do these in the office often and is the reimbursment good??

Specific CPT codes I'm referring to are 76880 and 76942.

Any response if greatly appreciated.

We do this in our office. I'll run a report tomorrow when I get into the office and let you know what kind of reimbursement we are getting.

I ran the reports today and for 76880 we have been reimbursed from $94 to $170. Medicare was the lowest and work comp was the highest. I haven't found any that were denied for any coding issues.
For 76942 reumbursement has been from $100 to $173. Again no denial for coding issues that I could find.
Hope that helps.

We are just starting this also. However, it looks like 76880 has been deleted leaving only 76881 and 76882. If ultraosund is used for needle placement only, it would seem we would only charge 76942. What circumstances would allow charging 76881 or 76882 ?? ALso, what documentation would be required if we did charge 76881 or 76882??
HELP !!!!!

Several of our doctors have ultrasound machines and use them for guidance on injections. We bill the 76942 and are reimbursed fairly well. About the same amounts as a previous poster commented.

I understand to use 76881, 76882 when an examinatin is done under the ultrasound.
We use 76882 -limited anatomic, specific.
We use 76942 most for guidance with injections. Both have to be well documented and images available. Hope this helps.
Lynn, CPC ;)

For those of you who are using the ultrasound machines in the office...what constitutes complete documentation necessary for billing this? My doctors don't dictate much depth in their notes when they use guidance. Also, it looks like we need to have images for these as well. Thanks!