Ultrasounds - gyne vs OB

poekar

New
Best answers
When a patient is being evaluated for a Miscarriage or Complete AB - Is there a rule about what kind of Ultrasound coding to use? A gyne ultrasound vs and OB ultrasound? For an incomplete AB - I am using OB Ultrasound codes.
I believe you should use the OB ultrasound codes for both of these instances - because it is evaluating a pregnancy outcome - but I can't find anything in writing.
My doctors code the gyne ultrasound codes in these instances and I think that is incorrect.

Thank you very much for your help. Karen

tracylc10

Guru
Best answers
It is appropriate to code an obstetrical ultrasound for a patient who has an established diagnosis of pregnancy, who presents with indications necessitating the exam that may be pregnancy related, even when the outcome shows that the patient is no longer currently pregnant.

I found this in OPTUM Coding Companion Obstetrics/Gynecology.

Best answers
What if the patient has a positive pregnancy test but the trans abdominal ultrasound does not show a pregnancy in the uterus? Which U/S code would you use?
Thanks in advance,
Susie Loving, CPC

asehr

Networker
Best answers
I took a webinar which stated to use OB codes only if a fetal pole was seen. Is that not correct information? Can someone clarify?