Wiki Umb hernia repair during Hysterectomy

LDNYC

New
Best answers
Hello, I need some help coding an umbilical hernia repair (5-6 cm) done during a supracervical abdominal hysterectomy w/bilateral salpingoophorectomy. What codes (CPT & ICD) are used to reflect the umbilical hernia repair? Thank you

Was the hernia repair performed along the incision (open or laparoscopic port incision) used for the hysterectomy, or was it performed through a separate incision? If it was performed along the open incision or laparoscopic port sites for the hysterectomy procedure, it would be bundled per NCCI guidelines. Here's the guideline from chapter 6 of the NCCI policy manual (this guideline can be found in section E.4):

If a hernia repair is performed at the site of an incision for an open or laparoscopic abdominal procedure, the hernia repair (e.g., CPT codes 49560-49566, 49652-49657) is not separately reportable. The hernia repair is separately reportable if it is performed at a site other than the incision and is medically reasonable and necessary. An incidental hernia repair is not medically reasonable and necessary and shall not be reported separately.

That's why I wanted to ask for that detail first. If the hernia is not along the incision for the hysterectomy, I can assist you with coding the hernia repair :).

Thanks
Kim
www.codingmastery.com

Was the hernia repair performed along the incision (open or laparoscopic port incision) used for the hysterectomy, or was it performed through a separate incision? If it was performed along the open incision or laparoscopic port sites for the hysterectomy procedure, it would be bundled per NCCI guidelines. Here's the guideline from chapter 6 of the NCCI policy manual (this guideline can be found in section E.4):

If a hernia repair is performed at the site of an incision for an open or laparoscopic abdominal procedure, the hernia repair (e.g., CPT codes 49560-49566, 49652-49657) is not separately reportable. The hernia repair is separately reportable if it is performed at a site other than the incision and is medically reasonable and necessary. An incidental hernia repair is not medically reasonable and necessary and shall not be reported separately.

That's why I wanted to ask for that detail first. If the hernia is not along the incision for the hysterectomy, I can assist you with coding the hernia repair :).

Thanks
Kim
www.codingmastery.com

Perfect! Thank you. No further info needed. It was performed at the site of hysterectomy incision.

Thank you