Wiki "Uncomplicated"

Best answers
I am trying to understand the word "uncomplicated" as it appears in the ICD-10. My question is specifically in regards to the Guideline for Chapter 5. b. 4): "Medical conditions due to psychoactive substance use, abuse and dependence". Perhaps a general understanding of how to code with "uncomplicated" will help me to understand, but if anyone wants to help in regards to this specific guideline, then that would be great, too. thanks!

As specifically related to substance disorders, notice that the other codes give you choices like in remission or withdrawal. Those should only be used if the provider documents it specifically. "Uncomplicated" is current use/abuse/dependence.

Also don't use "with other disorder" unless the provider documents a mental or behavioral disorder that results from the substance problem. If the patient has a related physical condition--ex., alcoholic cirrhosis--code the problem, then the code for "uncomplicated."

As specifically related to substance disorders, notice that the other codes give you choices like in remission or withdrawal. Those should only be used if the provider documents it specifically. "Uncomplicated" is current use/abuse/dependence.

Also don't use "with other disorder" unless the provider documents a mental or behavioral disorder that results from the substance problem. If the patient has a related physical condition--ex., alcoholic cirrhosis--code the problem, then the code for "uncomplicated."
Thank you so much for the helpful answer!