Wiki Understanding liver biopsy results

lbermudez@mms-ms.com

Contributor
Best answers
Hello,
I've been coding biopsies for some time now and I want to start understanding results and further my education . This is a liver biopsy - 47000 -
Patient is in his late 30's, does not present with major symptoms but has that he has family history kidney cancer, and cirrhosis. Here for preventative services.
Trying to figure this one out: ( still doing my own research )

example:
Results are : Steanosis 1 (20%) , NAS score : 3 of 8 , Lubinas ( acinar ) inflammation 1 , Ballooning 1, Fibrosis stage 4 with non alcoholic cirrhosis.

Thank you for your help!

Hello,
I've been coding biopsies for some time now and I want to start understanding results and further my education . This is a liver biopsy - 47000 -
Patient is in his late 30's, does not present with major symptoms but has that he has family history kidney cancer, and cirrhosis. Here for preventative services.
Trying to figure this one out: ( still doing my own research )

example:
Results are : Steanosis 1 (20%) , NAS score : 3 of 8 , Lubinas ( acinar ) inflammation 1 , Ballooning 1, Fibrosis stage 4 with non alcoholic cirrhosis.

Thank you for your help!

This link may help - it seems to explain how the NAS scores are calculated: https://tpis.upmc.com/changebody.cfm?url=/tpis/schema/NAFLD2006.jsp

In your example above, it looks like there was one point for each component resulting in the overall score of 3. (Not my area of expertise - I was just reading the chart at the link and compared it to your post!)

This link may help - it seems to explain how the NAS scores are calculated: https://tpis.upmc.com/changebody.cfm?url=/tpis/schema/NAFLD2006.jsp

In your example above, it looks like there was one point for each component resulting in the overall score of 3. (Not my area of expertise - I was just reading the chart at the link and compared it to your post!)
That's a great link, thank you! and yes, from my research once the liver goes into cirrhosis, the patient has a short life expectancy unless there's transplant. Looking at the NAS score it doesn't seem as bad. Of course, I am trying to learn and understand.