Wiki unfair policy

JYSPA

Networker
Best answers
AAPC has unfair policy to revoke credential if membership is not current/paid.
My previous job paid for my membership but current job does not pay. AAPC tells me to pay-up otherwise they will cancel my credential. I feel like blackmailed ..

This is actually a fairly common policy for nearly all credentialing agencies. It's just like if you're a member of any club, if you don't keep paying your membership fees then they have every right to revoke your membership.
My job paid for my first year membership, but then I had to pay my own dues. I did get the corporate discount, perhaps this is something your work might consider doing?

Yeah, it's no fun paying for stuff you thought was already paid for. Perhaps bring this up to your manager/director next time during your performance review?

I am unsure why you feel this is unfair. Membership is a part of the certification and the retention of the certification. If your employer does not pay for it the individual must pick up the cost. I fail to see what about this is unfair.

Not every organization has this policy - I know AHIMA does not..
I already paid for the exam CGSC (which is not cheap) and for CEUs to keep up with certification. It does not make sense to pay for yearly membership also (also not cheap). I received my certification in CGSC in 2010 and that policy was not there then. I know this for a fact. I probably would not have got the CGSC if I knew that they change policies as and when convenient. I already have CCS from AHIMA since 2007 and would have just got maybe CCS-P instead of getting a AAPC certification - as its just too expensive

While AHIMA

is cheaper than AAPC, you still have to pay a fee to maintain a membership with them and if I remember right, there is a separate fee to review CEU's each time you submit to AHIMA to maintain certification. I looked at both after taking a medical coding prep course, but because i'm based in Utah, where AAPC has their headquarters, the vast majority of jobs in my area prefer AAPC credentials over AHIMA. Honestly, to me the bigger problem is that you job requires a certification, but won't pay for it. I've worked in a couple different places that required a CPC certification, and they've always paid for at least a the base AAPC membership required to maintain certification. Not to mention, this is not a phenomenon limited to coders. Essentially all professional organizations require membership fees, from doctors being part of organizations like the AMA and specialty organizations like the AAOA and AAP, to actuaries, to dietitians, to fraud examiners to lawyers and more. It's uncommon that a professional organization doesn't require a fee. The services they provide cost money, so it's not unfair to expect to pay for the benefits a certification provides.

Not every organization has this policy - I know AHIMA does not..
I already paid for the exam CGSC (which is not cheap) and for CEUs to keep up with certification. It does not make sense to pay for yearly membership also (also not cheap). I received my certification in CGSC in 2010 and that policy was not there then. I know this for a fact. I probably would not have got the CGSC if I knew that they change policies as and when convenient. I already have CCS from AHIMA since 2007 and would have just got maybe CCS-P instead of getting a AAPC certification - as its just too expensive

You are mistaken. I earned my CPC in 2004 and even back then they informed people that if you did not pay your yearly dues you would lose your certification

AAPC has unfair policy to revoke credential if membership is not current/paid.
My previous job paid for my membership but current job does not pay. AAPC tells me to pay-up otherwise they will cancel my credential. I feel like blackmailed ..
I feel the same. I am tired of paying for a membership every year and I am still not working in this field (which is why I am done with this organization this year, which makes me sad because I worked hard to get certified and pass my exam, I will not be renewing). In December it will be six (6) years that I have been a CERTIFIED PROFESSIONAL CODER. Meaning I PAID for courses and PASSED, PAID for and PASSED my test/certification to get my credentials and NOW I HAVE TO pay a membership to keep something that I took a test and PASSED to get. A MEMBERSHIP and a CERTIFICATION ARE NOT the same thing! I could understand not keeping up with my CEUs and losing my credentials but a MEMBERSHIP??!!!?! A MEMBERSHIP that doesn't do anything for or help me mind you. This membership doesn't guarantee me job placement, the discounts sucks, I don't need the "discounts" for books because I AM NOT WORKING IN THIS PROFESSION and believe me it's not from lack of trying (there's this thing that job companies want called years of experience and if no one is hiring those of us without it then we never get it). Paying a yearly membership that is not beneficial is a ripoff. Sadly, I tell people who come and ask my opinion about becoming a certified coder to RUN in the opposite direction to another field because this organization is a money grab. Most don't take my advice and go through with it anyway and then they find out the hard way.

If I am not understanding the benefits of the membership and what it actually does please enlighten me.

Last edited:
I have been on these forums for a number of years now, and have seen similar posts by frustrated new-grad CPC-As. When I got my certification, I didn't go to coding school, or take any online courses. Instead I had my coding books. the CPC study guide and the online practice exams. I also had a job doing coding, while studying to become a medical coder, and getting a CPC was a requirement to continue my job at that company. I realize that I had a significant advantage of having a coding job with my CPC right off the bat, however my previous medical experiences allowed me to even get that job in the first place (I started out in Admitting).

Are coding instructors promising a guaranteed job right out of coding school? Do they promise that clinics, hospitals, doctors, etc are just waiting for you with open arms? If that is the case, then they have reality skewed as is obvious for the folks with CPC-As that are still stuck without a job. However, what about those new CPC-As that actually do land their first coding jobs? I don't see many posts from them on the AAPC forums. Do they have a "secret" trick in their sleeves which allows them to lure employers to hire them right off the bat?

Here is how I see it. Medical coding is NOT AN ENTRY LEVEL POSITION. There, I said it. This means some related prior experience is expected in even CPC-As. If you didn't know this, you were either misled or didn't do your research thoroughly enough. Yes, it sounds harsh, but that's the fact of the matter. Look at Nursing. Most, if not all Nursing schools now require some sort of clinical medical experience before you can even apply for an AS or BS in Nursing now (usually best with CNA experience). Physician Assistant Schools require 1-2 YEARS of prior clinical experience of some form (EMT, CNA, etc). Medical School is also asking for prior clinical experience, and there is of course the years of Residency you need to complete before any hospital/clinic will even look at you once you get out of medical school.

My point here is that requiring some past work experience is not totally unheard of, as this is often requested in so many other positions. Yes, it can be rough to break into, however once you have your foot in the door then landing your first job becomes much easier.
AAPC is also not unique to require membership dues from their members. Pretty much every medical organization or board requires a similar fee (although I don't know the actual dollar amount for RNs, MDs, RTs, etc), so this practice is also not too crazy. Yes, it's unfortunate and annoying to have to fork out the money yourself, if your job doesn't cover that fee but it's not an uncommon practice.

You state that you are not working in the Coding Profession and have held the CPC for almost 6 years in December. You also mention that you have tried to get a coding job. My immediate questions that pop into my mind are: What was your job searching process? Did you have your resumes peer-reviewed? How many interviews did you have? What was your job search parameters? Did you have any medical office experience prior to looking for coding jobs? And perhaps more importantly, why did you stop searching?
Every situation is different, and in my experience I have noticed that getting a job has a lot to do with timing. Are you doing everything in your power to make that first job happen? Are these employers ready to hire you and are you the right fit for that position/is the company the right fit for you (goes both ways).

I think it is unfair to defame the medical coding profession based on your unfortunate experiences, however there are so many details undisclosed here. I really hope you are not throwing in the towel completely, but that you are willing to give your hard-earned certification another chance and really grind to start your path on what can be a very rewarding career. Yes, getting through the gate can be hard and even tricky, but once you get there you will be greeted by a completely new world.

Hope this was helpful, as my comments were meant to help and not tear you down.

I agree medical coding is in no way an entry level job, but I haven't had much luck after getting my COC-A, working on my Practicode, and backed by a 30 year clinical career as an RN. My license is $55 for 2 years so that fee doesn't compare to the coding membership. I get the feeling I can network all I want, but the Coding Departments act like I want to come in and take over! Totally not what I want to do. All I want to do is read op notes and code surgeries. Is that too much to ask for? lol

I agree medical coding is in no way an entry level job, but I haven't had much luck after getting my COC-A, working on my Practicode, and backed by a 30 year clinical career as an RN. My license is $55 for 2 years so that fee doesn't compare to the coding membership. I get the feeling I can network all I want, but the Coding Departments act like I want to come in and take over! Totally not what I want to do. All I want to do is read op notes and code surgeries. Is that too much to ask for? lol

Have you tried applying to health plans? We currently had an MD from India on our team, and her clinical knowledge is invaluable for all aspects that we deal with (especially surgery appeals and decision making). Also, if a manager/supervisor is scared that you might "steal" their jobs, then they are very short sighted and perhaps you dodged a bullet instead. Getting a new job is often about timing, so my recommendation is to not give up and keep sending your fine-tuned resumes/applications out, practice our interviewing skills so you can slam-dunk your interview when you get the opportunity.

Good luck to both of you!

Exactly! Surgical nurses, heck any clinical nurse has a lot of information just waiting to be spewed out. The health plans I've looked at want auditing credentials/experience and I only have limited chart auditing done at the end of a shift. And I don't really think that's what I want to do. I'm waiting on a hot lead to come through and I'm content with that.

I am unaware of any credentialing agencies that do not want to collect their fees so you can maintain your credentials. I have a few credentials, and they all want their fees. I agree AAPC is a bit steep, but it is what it is. Members will not be able to change them, we all just have to adapt or stop paying (which is not advisable). AAPC used to offer some kind of financial assistance, but not sure if they do any more.

For your next position (or a renewal of this position during your annual evaluation?), consider discussing putting in the contract/job description that the employer is responsible for dues and maybe all/part of the CEUs you incur. Some employers are flexible for this stuff as they can write it off, others are not.

Also, it might help if you set up an account/location that you take the required amount out monthly and put it there. Do not touch it except for your dues. That way you do not have to come up with it all at one time. You may not miss 25/mo as much as you miss almost 280.00 at one time. Won't help this year, but maybe next year?

I feel the same. I am tired of paying for a membership every year and I am still not working in this field (which is why I am done with this organization this year, which makes me sad because I worked hard to get certified and pass my exam, I will not be renewing). In December it will be six (6) years that I have been a CERTIFIED PROFESSIONAL CODER. Meaning I PAID for courses and PASSED, PAID for and PASSED my test/certification to get my credentials and NOW I HAVE TO pay a membership to keep something that I took a test and PASSED to get. A MEMBERSHIP and a CERTIFICATION ARE NOT the same thing! I could understand not keeping up with my CEUs and losing my credentials but a MEMBERSHIP??!!!?! A MEMBERSHIP that doesn't do anything for or help me mind you. This membership doesn't guarantee me job placement, the discounts sucks, I don't need the "discounts" for books because I AM NOT WORKING IN THIS PROFESSION and believe me it's not from lack of trying (there's this thing that job companies want called years of experience and if no one is hiring those of us without it then we never get it). Paying a yearly membership that is not beneficial is a ripoff. Sadly, I tell people who come and ask my opinion about becoming a certified coder to RUN in the opposite direction to another field because this organization is a money grab. Most don't take my advice and go through with it anyway and then they find out the hard way.

If I am not understanding the benefits of the membership and what it actually does please enlighten me.

Have you tried for positions "around" a coding position, IE rev cycle management? That gets your foot in the door, and some of the experience you need. I have done some research for claim auditing and now I am working on claim denials resolution. Both are important skills for coders, just not quite in the coding field yet. The company I am with now has a coding division and I have made sure they know I am interested. In the meantime, I working and my credentials help and hopefully will open doors later.

I agree with some of the posters here, I started as a receptionist at a medical office front desk, You name it i did the job, anything that would give me medical experience. I worked at different offices and different specialties over the years gaining expierence. I finally got a job in my companys billing office as a coder trainiee. I worked at it for 3 years. All the time studying, plotting, and yes failing a few times at the certification exam. Its been a long journey for me but i am now a CPC and really proud of it . I paid for 2 1/2 years just trying to get my credential so while the price is steep, i have a job performance review this week and my boss is extactic that i passed my exam. :) So wage hike for yours truly. I know my situation is different from others, but just know that in this field alittle hard work and alot patience is the key .