Wiki unna boot plus

efuhrmann

Best answers
I have a nurse who is certified(or getting certified) in wound care. She is "seeing" patients with diaBETIC ULCERS, NONHEALING WOUNDS, venous stasis ulcers etc and is coding 29580(unna boot application) for all dressing changes. Here is an example "old boot removed. His wound was debrided and cleaned. His wound measures 1.8 cm X 1.3 cm. A silvercel dressing was placed on the wound. A new unna boot was placed..." The nurse also says she uses more elaborate and expensive dressings/ointment than for an "ordinary" unna boot. Some are Santyl(enzyme for debridement), multidex, aquacel, allevyn adhesive. Is only the 29580 applicable?

Unna Boot

I have a nurse who is certified(or getting certified) in wound care. She is "seeing" patients with diaBETIC ULCERS, NONHEALING WOUNDS, venous stasis ulcers etc and is coding 29580(unna boot application) for all dressing changes. Here is an example "old boot removed. His wound was debrided and cleaned. His wound measures 1.8 cm X 1.3 cm. A silvercel dressing was placed on the wound. A new unna boot was placed..." The nurse also says she uses more elaborate and expensive dressings/ointment than for an "ordinary" unna boot. Some are Santyl(enzyme for debridement), multidex, aquacel, allevyn adhesive. Is only the 29580 applicable?

As you documented old boot removed and debrided wound of 1.8 cm x 1.3 cm and new unna boot placed. So, here as per documentation we need to code and bill removal, debridment and reapplication of boot. It helps you.
Thanks

So the question I have is can I charge for the debridement and if so, what code would I use. Also, what about the ointments that this nurse says is so expensive?