Wiki Unrelated Services when pregnant

BettyH123

Networker
Best answers
With the new ICD-10CM coming in Oct., if the patient is pregnant but coming in for ROB visit and she has a viral illness that is not related to her pregnancy. I know we would code the ICD-10CM A09.4 for the Viral enteritis NOS, do we still code that she is pregnant as incidinal -Z33.1 (pregnant state, incidental)? Also, do we code how many weeks gestation too?

Betty Hougasian, CPC
NMCP
betty.j.hougasian.civ@mail.mil
757-953-4363

With the new ICD-10CM coming in Oct., if the patient is pregnant but coming in for ROB visit and she has a viral illness that is not related to her pregnancy. I know we would code the ICD-10CM A09.4 for the Viral enteritis NOS, do we still code that she is pregnant as incidinal -Z33.1 (pregnant state, incidental)? Also, do we code how many weeks gestation too?

Betty Hougasian, CPC
NMCP
betty.j.hougasian.civ@mail.mil
757-953-4363

unless the provider states specifically that this is not complicating the pregnancy then you never code the pregnancy as incidental. use the O code first listed. then yes you add the Z3A for the weeks of gestation. Go to pregnancy complicated by the virus or viral or gastrointestinal.

z33.1

I understand that this code is for when they visit the doctor for something not related to the pregnancy and in which it doesn't effect the pregnancy. What happens when they give this code to lab work. Either for genetic or prenatal testing. Can I just remove or not use the code? Do I need to contact the office for a new code?

Thanks,
April

This code cannot be used for testing. If it is prenatal testing you need the code for the prenatal screenings, the same for genetic testing.