Wiki "Up to" and "More than" for codes 93241-93248

SUEV

Guru
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Does "up to" include the 7th day and "more than" begin on the 8th day? For example, a holter monitor is placed and data is collected for 7 days and 8 hours. Are the global services coded as 93241 or 93245?
Thanks

Thank you Thomas for your response. I did not see the language as that straightforward. For example, if I can take up to 3 days off, the whole third day is included so I wouldn't have to return until the 4th day. If I have more than 3 days to finish a project, the soonest it would be due is on the 4th day. I could not find any language in CPT that addressed the "up to and including" issue.

Thank you Thomas for your response. I did not see the language as that straightforward. For example, if I can take up to 3 days off, the whole third day is included so I wouldn't have to return until the 4th day. If I have more than 3 days to finish a project, the soonest it would be due is on the 4th day. I could not find any language in CPT that addressed the "up to and including" issue.
I guess I would not interpret these to be time-based codes where you would round to the closest hour. Those types of codes will state 'first hour' or 'each additional hour', for example, where you would need to round the fractions to the nearest whole since you are billing a unit for each hour.

The code descriptions here simply give you one code for up to 7 days, and another code for more than seven days. So if you go over 7 days by any amount, you would code more than 7 days, by my reading. If they hadn't intended this, I think the code descriptions would have read 1-7 days for the first code and 8-15 days for the second, or something like that.

Last edited: