Wiki Updated codes being used - how to verify

zan2me

New
Best answers
Hello, I've been asked by my SR Mgmt. to audit our EHR to ensure that we are using the most current, up-to-date ICD10 CM codes. I have no idea how to do this in a efficient and timely manner! Does anyone have experience doing something like this? And if, so what process was employed? Our EHR is Cerner. TIA. SuzAnn

Thanks for your reply Sharon, but this is what started the issue. Cerner says they use the plug-ins from 3M and have nothing to do with if the codes are up-to-date or not. We've had a few instances where outdate (unexpanded) codes are still being used.

YIKES!! A way to check them all. Wow I wouldn't even know where to begin. If our EMR doesn't catch it... (usually doesn't) then our clearinghouse does. ( Gateway/Trizetto)

-When I come across them (usually not until the clearinghouse rejects them) I keep them on a list centrally located where our entire billing team can see them. ( we keep a folder of training spreadhseets on our shared server) I also send out an email of any new major changes to be sure our main coder sees it.
-Then the billing manager will go in and adjust it in the EMR.
-The webinars on here are great for staying up to date with any new coding changes. As I listen I write down any that are pertinent to our office and then add them to the list.. We are PCPs but in most practices you tend to see the same groups of codes all the time.
-Lastly google is your friend!!

This doesn't help with older things but might be helpful for moving forward.

Thanks for your reply Sharon, but this is what started the issue. Cerner says they use the plug-ins from 3M and have nothing to do with if the codes are up-to-date or not. We've had a few instances where outdate (unexpanded) codes are still being used.
I'm surprised to hear that - I worked with 3M for years and found the quality and accuracy of their coding tools to be exceptionally good. On the other hand, I also worked with Cerner for several years and found their support to be lacking. Based on this experience, my suspicion would be that Cerner is probably not using the most current versions.

3M is very responsive to customer inquiries, so if you're able to open an inquiry directly with them, I'd do that. If not, I would push Cerner harder on this and ask them to get this resolved with 3M and not let them tell you it's just out of their hands.