Wiki Updated COVID ICD 10

Best answers
I would like some input on how everyone interprets the updated guidelines for coding a patient that presents with symptoms only, no documentation of suspected contact/exposure, and the provider sends the patient for COVID testing. The way I understand it is you would only code the symptoms and the CR/CS modifier depending on the payer. No Z codes.

I have the same question basically - not sure how to interpret the guidelines. I code labs for the facility side. My Mgrs want us to use 3 codes only, the Z20.828, U0.71 or Z01.84 if antibody screening. I too am seeing electronic orders for COVID testing coming in with just symptoms on them. Say patient's Dx on COVID order is R05, and they test negative. I put the cough as the Admit/Reason for Visit and then do I put Z20.828 in the final/primary along with cough? Or do I just use cough in both admit/primary slots? It looks like the guidelines are stating we do not have to add the Z20.828 at all if patient with signs and symptoms and no exposure tests negative. Am I interpreting this correctly?

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL- same here! I see it the way you do! S& SX- no documentation at all in the note of exposure(patient denies exposure) and no documentation(meaning in the provider's note) of suspicion. I don't feel I can use the Z20.828 code. And the encounter is not for Covid screening- just I'm sending a swab for Covid testing... without documentation of exposure or suspected exposure- then gives a final dx of URI or cough-then sends the patient home (Urgent Care)... It's confusing..

During the COVID-19 pandemic, a screening code is generally not appropriate. For encounters for COVID-19 testing, including preoperative testing, code as exposure to COVID-19 (guideline I.C.1.g.1.e), we are to use Z20.828 for COVID testing regardless if symptomatic or not.

During the COVID-19 pandemic, a screening code is generally not appropriate. For encounters for COVID-19 testing, including preoperative testing, code as exposure to COVID-19 (guideline I.C.1.g.1.e), we are to use Z20.828 for COVID testing regardless if symptomatic or not.
Please help, if a college student is flying for an athletic event and has no known exposure or symptoms would it be coded as Z20.828?