Wiki Ureteral Dilation with Scope?

tori.a

Guru
Best answers
Is it appropriate to bill 52344 for a ureteral dilation done with a scope rather than a balloon, incision, etc? The provider states that a stenotic area of the ureter was dilated but only the scope was used.

The provider states in his note that he "advanced the ureteroscope into the ureter and I saw a stenotic area within the distal right ureter. I was able to dilate this area using the scope and I advanced it passed the area of the stricture."

Thanks!! RP20220607

I would say that the dilation of a ureteral stricture with the ureteroscope is a dilation of the seen stricture and a billable service with 52344, as described.

My doctors say that they dilate narrow areas of the ureter with the scope all the time, but I do not bill a dilation. They don't call it a stricture, but usually call it a "narrowing" or "tight area". Should I be billing the dilation for these instances?

If there is no anatomical stricture present, then I would agree that a normal narrowing of the ureter is not a stricture and the passage of the ureteroscope pass this narrowing does not represent a ureteral dilation or billable service.

My doctors say that they dilate narrow areas of the ureter with the scope all the time, but I do not bill a dilation. They don't call it a stricture, but usually call it a "narrowing" or "tight area". Should I be billing the dilation for these instances?
I'm thinking it would need to be specified as a ureteral stricture in order to bill for the dilation.