Wiki Urine Testing

celcano

Networker
Best answers
Prior to 2015, we were billing 80801 (or G0431, 82055, 82570 and 83986 for our urine drug/alcohol testing.

For 2015, I know 80801 and 82055 have been deleted. I know I can use 80301 (or G0431). However, can I still use 82570 and 83986 or are these now strictly "definitive" testing codes?

How are your practices handling these changes.

Tank you for your input.

82570 is for urine creatinine
83986 is for PH

The NCCI policy manual has been updated to exclude coverage for adulteration testing as seen in chapter 10

http://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Coding/NationalCorrectCodInitEd/index.html

E. Drug Testing Providers performing validity testing on urine specimens utilized for drug testing should not separately bill the validity testing. For example, if a laboratory performs a urinary pH, specific gravity, creatinine, nitrates, oxidants, or other tests to confirm that a urine specimen is not adulterated, this testing is not separately billed. The Internet-Only Manual, Publication 100-04, Medicare Claims Processing Manual, Chapter 16 (Laboratory Services), Section 10 (Background) indicates that a laboratory test is a covered benefit only if the test result is utilized for management of the beneficiary?s specific medical problem. Testing to confirm that a urine specimen is unadulterated is an internal control process that is not separately reportable.