Wiki Use of -GT Modifier for TeleHealth

kklink

New
Best answers
With the crisis of Covid-19 our Practice is going to start doing TeleHealth so our older patients do not need to travel out. We are confused on the use of the -GT modifier and receiving conflicting information. Has anyone billed a TeleHealth visit for physician’s office and used the -GT modifier or did you just change the Place of Service Code?

NGS Medicare guidance was NO modifiers for telehealth visits for any provider who was not previously able to bill telehealth. So, basically 99.8% of providers who are now billing telehealth during the emergency.

Aetna and IBC are two payers that require this modifier as well as medicare for POS 2
I tried to attach my grid but it wouldn’t allow me to..

UPDATE ON 04/02/2020 TO ORIGINAL POST, AS GUIDANCE FROM CMS HAS CHANGED
As of 03/31/2020 interim final rule, CMS states for telehealth, "report the POS code that would have been reported had the service been furnished in person." with modifier -95 to designate it was telehealth. This way, you will get full reimbursement for nonfacility location, instead of reduced facility rate with POS 02.
Medicare will also now reimburse 99441-99443.

Guidance about POS/modifiers page 14-15. Guidance about 99441-99443 starts at bottom of 126.
This is CMS guidance only, and you should check with your commercial carriers about their rules.
Interim final rule: https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...-revisions-in-response-to-the-covid-19-public