Wiki Use of Z09

Flippa

New
Best answers
I'm hoping someone can help my mind with its internal debate. As we know history codes cannot be used solo or as primary. For my DVT patients when they come for their yearly follow up and are on therapeutic dosing of medications as preventative measure my providers are using the history of codes for the appointment. Would Z09 be suitable as the primary diagnosis code, or should I add back in the original DVT code with the history code? Technically they don't have a DVT but now they are on a lower dose of the medication for the preventative measure so will that still fit into the Z09 description?

Hi Flippa,
I d use the diagnosis code first in telling payers why getting injection and then use Z code last Z09. Also could add the dx Z51.81.
Lady T

Thanks, I wasn't thinking about the drug level code since most of them have transitioned over to orals. Definitely will add that to my cheat sheet for when my brain dumbs out.

Hi Flippa :)(y)
You are making me laugh because your brain get quirks in it like the rest of us humans......
Those Z codes as extra data if documented can help.......dx Z76.0 if doc prescribing meds, dx Z51.8 monitor current meds, and dx Z79 .89 if patient has been on long anticoagulant pills for cardiac problems, dx Z79.4 for DM insulin and dx Z79.84 if get oral pills for DM illness. Oh yeah reviewing lab record during visit dx. Z71.2
Add this to your cheat sheet too.;)
Lady T

Last edited: