Wiki Use of Z37.* outcome of delivery codes on subsequent E/M visits

heinam

New
Best answers
Hello!

Regarding Z37.* outcome of delivery codes, ICD-10-CM Guidelines state "A code from category Z37, Outcome of delivery, should be included on every maternal record when a delivery has occurred. These codes are not to be used on subsequent records or on the newborn record." While ICD-10-CM Coding Handbook states "These codes are used only on the mother's record, not the record of the newborn, and are assigned only for the episode of care during which delivery occurred."

My question is, by "subsequent records," do the Guidelines imply Z37.* should not be used on subsequent visits during the same admission as delivery or subsequent records as in after the admission for delivery?

If I have a patient who delivered one day, then a couple days later (during same admission) was treated for a postpartum complication & provider reports subsequent inpatient E/M, my understanding was that since the subsequent visit wasn't the delivery encounter, then Z37.* shouldn't be assigned. Is my thinking correct on this?