Wiki Using drivers license for ID

N70QW

Best answers
We have been using the patients drivers license and scanning it into our system for patient identification. But were told by another doctors office that there was a new law in effect that prohibits doing this. Has anyone heard of this and if so can direct me to the actual regulation or some sort of documetation?

We have been using the patients drivers license and scanning it into our system for patient identification. But were told by another doctors office that there was a new law in effect that prohibits doing this. Has anyone heard of this and if so can direct me to the actual regulation or some sort of documetation?

I have not heard of any and would also like to know if there is something out there that states this. I know my personal physician's office took mine just last week and they also took a picture of me so that the two matches. :confused:

Also our hospital take a picture of each patient and also scans their dirvier license and insurance cards on every patient admitted into the hospital.

Last edited:
Here in PA our local hospital scans your drivers license (and insurance card) on every visit and the doctors offices affiliated with the hospital do the same thing. It began when the red flag rules first started being talked about and it continues until today.

Donna T.

I have been looking on the internet and cannot find anything regarding it being a violation of some kind so I am thinking that other office may be mistaken.

this practice started with the 'Red Flag Rules' which no longer apply to physicians. I am not aware of it being illegal but you must have processes to protect the data and if the data is infiltrated it would have to be reported.

I personally will not provide this information to my doctor who asks for it and informed him this is unnecessary so I will see next time I am in for a physicial