Wiki Using Screening for COVID(Z11.52) as a testing DX?

srandolph11

New
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Where can I find some great information to talk to providers about using this diagnosis for testing? From what I have found so far, it can not be used during the pandemic, and if it is, it can be used for pre-op testing. They are not doing this as a pre-op test. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The coding guidelines in the ICD-10 code books actually state that Z11.52 is inaccurate for use in the pandemic. You can use the article from AAPC to show them in black and white that it is not correct.

• Section I.C.1.g.1.f – Screening for COVID-19: In addition to explaining that it is not appropriate to report a screening code during the COVID-19 pandemic, the guideline now specifically states, “Do not assign code Z11.52 Encounter for screening for COVID-19.” Current guidance instructs you to use Z20.822 to report encounters for COVID-19 testing, including preoperative testing.
Here's an article for providers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Where can I find some great information to talk to providers about using this diagnosis for testing? From what I have found so far, it can not be used during the pandemic, and if it is, it can be used for pre-op testing. They are not doing this as a pre-op test. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You can also print a copy of the Official ICD-10-CM Coding guidelines for 2020 and 2021 or just have them on your computer as a PDF and they are easy to search. Reading the GL's once a year is a great practice. You may not remember everything exactly but you will be able to recall that "X" is in the GL's and then you can search for "X"