Wiki Using V Codes for Chronic Conditions?

TracyAlder

Networker
Best answers
When coding schizophrenia, when would one use V11.0 (hx of schizophrenia) as opposed to 295.9X? Since schizophrenia is a chronic condition, why does a code exist for a history of?

Same thing with arthritis. It has a history code (V13.4) and a current code as well and is chronic.

This has been bothering me for awhile and I haven't been able to find the answer anywhere. It's probably right in front of me, but I just haven't gotten it!

good question

I, too, would appreciate an answer to this one. I have one dr. that uses a V code for "history of diabetes" instead of a 250 code. Is there logic behind that?

I'm not sure why there is a history of code for schizophrenia when the remission code seems like it would essentially be the same thing but I would not use the history of code unless the doctor specifically stated it in the documentation.

As for the history of diabetes, it is possible especially for someone who was previously morbidly obese and then lost a lot of weight and is no longer diabetic after losing the weight.

That makes sense, jojo, although I've never seen that on a chart (not, of course, that I'm privy to every medical chart! :) )

The whole schizophrenia thing is really gnawing at me, though! I wish there was someone out there who could say, "Okay, this is how it is and that's that!"