Wiki uvulopharyngoplasty HELP

Best answers
Can someone assist me on how you would code the below- surgeon is insisting 42145 is not correct:

Lateral pharyngoplasty was then completed by sutuering the posterior pharyngeal mucosa to the anterior tonsillar pillar with vicrayl sutures. the closure was completed with the least amount of tension possible. Attention was then placed on the soft palate and uvula. using a needle-tip bovie, a minimal amount of redundant mucosal tissue of the soft palat at the later arches was excised. the fibrofatty tissue with the lateral arch was also excised being carful to avoid excising the levator muscles of the soft palat. enough tissie was removed to allow flattening of the posterior pharyngeal reflux wall without causing tension when sutured toghet to prevent velopharyngeal reflux.the posterior and anteriod mucosal tissue of the soft palate was reapproximated using 2-0 vicryl sutures. the redundent uvula was then excised using a bovie. an uvuloplasty was performed by utilizing the midline soft palat. beginning midline neovula was created by dissecting the shape of the uvula using a needle-tip bovie. A portion of the uvularis muscle was partially excised. a series of vicryl was then used to reaproximate the mucosa to create the neouvula.

Looks like 42950 for Pharyngoplasty may be a better code.

My ENT Coding Handbook describes this procedures as follows: "The physician advances soft tissue of the posterior pharyngeal wall by suturing palatopharyngeal muscles. A flap of pharyngeal mucosa is then folded back on itself to achieve further reconstruction. This procedure is performed usually to treat malignant neoplasm of oral cavity and pharynx."

Without the entire operative note, it is hard to determine the exact code, but this is the best code I can determine based on what you provided. Hope that helps!

Jennifer M. Connell, BA, CPC, CENTC, CPCO