Wiki Vacuum assisted vaginal delivery

kimezell

New
Best answers
TO CODE A VAVD IN ICD 9 I ALWAYS USED 669.51 BUT I AM HAVING TROUBLE FINDING A CODE THAT TRANSLATES INTO ICD 10. I WAS ADVISED TO USE THE O66.5 BUT I AM NOT COMFORTABLE WITH THAT CODE AS IT STATES IT RESULTED IN USE OF FORCEPS OR C-SECTION. I WAS WONDERING IF O80 WOULD WORK AS IT STATES WITH MINIMAL OR NO ASSISTANCE. HAS ANYONE ELSE RUN IN TO THIS AND HOW DID YOU CODE IT? :confused::eek::(

I think this will have to be coded with why the forceps were used. The O80 dx code won't work for this because the code states without use of instruments. Did the doctor state why they needed to use forceps?

I am also finding that O66.5 does not cover vac assisted csection. What ICD10 code are you guys using with vac assist during a cesection? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm thinking that since they don't have a separate code for this in ICD 10, then (assuming there are no tears or any other events during labor) I believe this is considered part of a normal delivery (when it is not followed by use of forceps or c - section as in O66.5).

This is one of those weird changes they made that I dislike.:rolleyes: