Wiki Vascular access question...

kimberliterpstra

Networker
Best answers
Is there a CPT code for exchanging a non-tunneled central venous catheter for a tunneled central venous catheter , through same venous access? There is no subcutaneous port or pump.
I'm finding a replacement (complete) of a non-tunneled catheter (36580) and replacement (complete) of a tunneled catheter (36581), but nothing that describes exchanging a non-tunneled catheter for a tunneled catheter.
My instinct tells me to go with CPT 36558, insertion of tunneled catheter and disregard the "exchange" portion of the description...
I appreciate your input!

Is there a CPT code for exchanging a non-tunneled central venous catheter for a tunneled central venous catheter , through same venous access? There is no subcutaneous port or pump.
I'm finding a replacement (complete) of a non-tunneled catheter (36580) and replacement (complete) of a tunneled catheter (36581), but nothing that describes exchanging a non-tunneled catheter for a tunneled catheter.
My instinct tells me to go with CPT 36558, insertion of tunneled catheter and disregard the "exchange" portion of the description...
I appreciate your input!
If non-tunneled removal and replaced tunneled, code as new insertion of tunneled.