Wiki Vascular Dementia (F01.5-)

jkottarathil

Contributor
Best answers
Hi All,

I know for vascular dementia you need to "code first any underlying physiological condition or sequelae of cerebrovascular disease", and I have one specific and one general question about this.

1) Are you able to use a history of TIA diagnosis code as the "first coded" diagnosis?
2) Is there a list somewhere of the possible physiological conditions/sequelae of cerebrovascular diseases?

Edited to add:
There is a list of underlying physiological conditions in F02 category. Can these physiological conditions also be used for F01, or no? Wasn't sure if they needed to be vascular physiological conditions or not.

Thank you!

Last edited:
To question #1, no, it would be contradictory to use history of TIA as the underlying condition since the history code indicates that the condition is resolved without any sequela - TIA by definition is 'transient' and resolves without any residual effects. If the vascular dementia condition is documented as resulting from a CVA, you would code it as a sequela of CVA and not as a history of CVA/TIA.

To #2, your complete list of sequela codes can be found in the ICD-10 Alphabetic Index - go to: Sequelae -> disease -> cerebrovascular, and you will see all of the codes listed that are encompassed under this category.

To question #1, no, it would be contradictory to use history of TIA as the underlying condition since the history code indicates that the condition is resolved without any sequela - TIA by definition is 'transient' and resolves without any residual effects. If the vascular dementia condition is documented as resulting from a CVA, you would code it as a sequela of CVA and not as a history of CVA/TIA.

To #2, your complete list of sequela codes can be found in the ICD-10 Alphabetic Index - go to: Sequelae -> disease -> cerebrovascular, and you will see all of the codes listed that are encompassed under this category.
Great, thank you for that distinction! I'm a new coder so I'm still learning the ins and outs.