Wiki Vascular Dementia

smercado

New
Best answers
Hello! I am wondering if anyone can help me to figure out what the ICD 10 codes are for the qualifying underlying physiological condition for vascular dementia? I looking for specific ICD 10 code examples. I have a BHI claim that I need to release where the provider only put in dx F01.50, no other codes listed. When I queried the provider for the underlying physiological condition the response was dx for history of cva - which ultimately even if it was changed to a sequela code for cva cannot go out as a primary code either.

Aside from this specific scenario my team and I need some clear guidance on what is an appropriate code to use before F01.50/1 as we have several providers using this diagnosis code and we are unsure what is acceptable as the primary code for vascular dementia.

Thanks in advance!

As a coder, we cannot tell what the underlying condition is. I would query the provider again and notify him/her that "history of" anything cannot be a primary diagnosis, as you said.

Correct, as a coder I would not decide the condition. more so I would like to know when I send a query to the provider what direction they should go in for the condition? We have created guides for dementia coding and the only section that is not complete or clear is vascular dementia as you cannot use history of codes and a sequela code cannot be primary

Do you have a ICD-10-CM code book for at least last year? In the Tabular list of the F codes, under Vascular Dementia F01, mine from last year says "Vascular dementia as a result of the brain due to vascular disease, including hypertensive cerebrovascular disease." And, "Includes" has "arteriosclerotic dementia". Then, "Code first" also has "sequelae of cerebrovascular disease". I would start there.